Overall, our business community was satisfied with most aspects of our school division. This section shows our results for each item type as follows:
Defined response items
In general, Saskatoon Public Schools communicate effectively with the business community.
- Nearly one half of respondents (48.5%) either disagreed or strongly disagreed that Saskatoon Public Schools communicate effectively with the business community while 35.5% agreed or strongly agreed .
Students of Saskatoon Public Schools receive a quality education.
- Most respondents (71.5%) agreed or strongly agreed that our students receive a quality education while 19% either disagreed or strongly disagreed.
Saskatoon Public Schools prepare students for life after school.
- Most (58.8%) either agreed or strongly agree while 24% disagreed or strongly disagreed with this statement.
Saskatoon Public Schools make responsible financial decisions.
- 43.5% of respondents agreed or strongly agreed with this statement while 33.5% either disagreed or strongly disagreed.
Overall, the business community has the appropriate level of input and involvement in Saskatoon Public Schools.
- Just over one half of respondents (52%) disagreed or strongly disagreed with this statement and 31% agreed or strongly agreed.
Saskatoon Public Schools make decisions that encourage growth, improvement, and innovation.
- The majority of respondents (56%) believed that Saskatoon Public Schools make decisions that encourage growth, improvement, and innovation and 24% either disagreed or strongly disagreed.
What is your overall impression of Saskatoon Public Schools?
- Eighty-five percent of our business community have a satisfactory or better impression of Saskatoon Public Schools overall. 11% have a poor impression of Saskatoon Public Schools and approximately 4% were unsure or did not answer.
Open-ended itemsAs with the residential survey, the business community survey included two open-ended questions. The responses were analyzed for content and common themes and are presented here including some examples of the specific responses provided. Please note that 43% of the respondents did not comment on this question so the percentages reflect the observations of the remaining 37% (89 respondents).
What are the greatest accomplishments of Saskatoon Public Schools?
The three most common themes related to this question included:
The most common comment (22%) related to Quality of Education issues such as:
- Giving a good education to our children,
- Getting students to graduate, and
- Educating the adults of the future.
The next most common accomplishment (8.4%) related to Curricular Issues such as:
- A great arts program,
- Good sports programs, and
- Very good work placement programs.
6.5% made comments related to Life Beyond School such as:
- Giving the children a good push for the future as adults,
- Students’ involvement in fundraising builds responsibility for financial independence, and
- Preparing students for the work force in the future.
Several of the comments would best be grouped as “other” for example:
- “I think that the partnerships throughout the city are good”,
- “I think they’re really trying to work with the communities”, and
- “Students are developing great leadership skills.”
What are the greatest challenges facing Saskatoon Public Schools?
The results from this question are organized according to the 3 most common themes with a sample of the general types of comments made. Please note that approximately 13% of respondents did not comment on this question so percentages reported here are for those who did respond.
The most common challenge (25.5%) identified related to Funding Issues such as:
- Budgeting and spending money appropriately,
- Cost effectiveness, and
- Cost of doing business – could be more creative.
16.5% identified Educational Effectiveness issues such as:
- For many students, basic common sense skills are not taught by the staff and faculty,
- I would like to see more classes in the practical and applied arts, and
- Students do not have adequate skills when they graduate.
12.2% made comments related to Student Discipline such as:
- Dealing with the behaviour of students is a serious challenge, and
- Bullying and racism are challenges.
Several comments were also made that are best grouped together as “other”:
- “There are too many administrators [as compared to the number of teachers]”, and
- “I believe that they [Saskatoon Public Schools] are challenged by trying to please our whole community.”