Dr. John G. Egnatoff School opened in 1988 and serves the Erindale and Arbor Creek communities in Saskatoon's northeast. Single-family dwellings are the dominant form of housing in both communities. Arbor Creek students are bused to our school.
Our school is staffed with 29 full-time teachers, 6 educational assistants, 3 caretakers, 1.5 office staff, a half-time library technician, 5 lunch supervisors, one vice principal, and one principal.
Our school's student population is diverse. It is a beautiful mosaic representative of cultures from around the world. There are approximately 590 students enrolled at Dr. J.G. Egnatoff School. Of this total, 52 students are registered in Kindergarten (dispersed across three half-time Kindergarten classes). Seven of our classes span Grades 1 to 3, while fifteen classes span Grades 4 to 8. Twelve classes are physically located in the core of our facility and include instructional spaces for Band, Fine Arts, and Physical Education. Ten of our classes are situated in portable classrooms attached to our facility's core. One portable is dedicated to a 30-computer instructional lab. Each of our classrooms is equipped with a computer. Our Learning Resource Centre has a bank of 14 computers. We also have a WiFi mobile lab.
We seek opportunities to engage in dynamic partnerships with the broader community. For example, one of our classrooms is utilized by the Erindale Cooperative Preschool. Additionally, the YMCA operates a Before and After School Program in our school.
Our parent community is very supportive and involved in their children's education and school. Our School Community Council (SCC) and Parent-School Committee are actively engaged as partners in building understanding within the community and in supporting student learning. Our students have been afforded countless educational opportunities and resources because of the hard work and generosity of parents who participate on our SCC and on our fund raising committee.
Key Priorities for the 2009-2010 Academic Year
This year, our school focused on three priority areas to enhance student learning:
- Wellness -- to help students develop a healthy, active lifestyle
- Curriculum Actualization -- to implement new curricula, especially in mathematics
- Literacy for Life -- to build a culture of readers, engage the community in supporting our reading goals, increase the volume of student reading, and use data to track progress in this area
We are utilizing new and existing technology and applying the principles and practices of Assessment for Learning as we strive to achieve desired change in each priority area.
Why should you choose Dr. J.G. Egnatoff School?
Because . . .
- We are a public school, the foundation of democracy; we are open to all and celebrate all cultures!
- Our school is a safe and welcoming place: we actively and continuously provide quality instruction in social skill development and bullying prevention.
- Our staff and students are committed to being caring and hard-working.
- We boast an enhanced literacy program: powerful instructional strategies are used to promote literacy through all grade levels.
- We offer a variety of extracurricular programs to students; our students are active!
- Parents, and members of our staff, supervise our playground and lunch hour.
- Our school houses a Before and After School Care Program.
- "Hands-on" learning activities are available to all students - e.g., our school offers mathematics manipulatives to assist student learning and problem-solving; learning is supported by new instructional technology.
- We offer activities that emphasize the importance of family and provide opportunities for families to be together.
- Our students are assigned to Care Partner groups to build relationships and responsibility.
- We provide a wide range of special education services.
- Our Kindergarten classes are small to encourage strong learning relationships.
- We offer half-day and full-day/alternate day Kindergarten programs.
- We have an active and supportive SCC and Community Association!