Roland Michener is a small, personal school with a professional and support staff of approximately 30 people, and a student population of about 220. Our size permits us the opportunity to get to know one another like a big family. Roland Michener School is a safe place to learn, where students accept each other's differences and care about one another. We are located in a wonderful park setting, with access to playground equipment, soccer fields, baseball diamonds and tennis courts.
Academic growth (knowing), personal development (caring), and social and cultural development (sharing) are all seen as part of a well-balanced education for every child. These goals and values provide focus and direction for our students' learning. Students find that our school provides abundant opportunities for growth, through an excellent learning program and a comprehensive extra-curricular program. We encourage students to become involved in all aspects of school life, including academics, athletics, arts education and citizenship.
- Strong Academic Emphasis - in all areas of study
- Leaders in Literacy. We have a strong focus on literacy. Saskatoon Public Schools' award winning Literacy for Life initiative means that our Kindergarten to Grade 8 classrooms offer a strong literacy component that ensure students develop skills and attitudes that lead to success. When it comes to supporting literacy, Roland Michener School is a leader.
- Math - our students demonstrate continuous, ongoing development of math skills
- Arts Education - band, music, drama, visual art, dance and creative expression
- Core French - Grades 5 to 8
- Resource Teacher Assistance - for students with learning difficulties
- Home Economics and Industrial Arts (Grade 8)
- Nutrition Positive
- Quality Daily Physical Education
- In Motion
- Values Education
- Global Citizenship - our students are accepting of all; our students are becoming culturally responsive, global citizens
- School-Wide and Classroom Assemblies
- C.A.R.E. Partners - a pairing of older and younger students
Our students have opportunities to participate in a variety of extra-curricular activities, such as:
- Cross Country Running
- House Leagues
- Indoor Track
- Outdoor Track and Field
- Student Leadership
- Library Helpers
- Safety Patrol
A highlight of the school year for our Grade 6 to 8 students is a three-day camping experience. At the camp, students take part in a variety of leadership and team building activities, resulting in positive atmospheres in classrooms and throughout our school.
Over the Rainbow Preschool is located at Roland Michener School. At the preschool, children 3 and 4 years old learn and play in an inviting and stimulating environment. These children also have the opportunity to take physical education lessons in our gymnasium and borrow books from the school library.
The Boys and Girls Club operates an extended day program at Roland Michener. The program operates before school (beginning at 7:30 a.m.) and after school (until 6:00 p.m.).
Roland Michener has an active School Community Council (SCC) and Parent Council. These groups are immensely supportive of students and staff. Parents' voices are a valuable part of our students' educational experiences.
Please come and visit us at Roland Michener School. We are proud of our school, and would like to tell you more about us!