Saskatchewan has an Education Response Planning Team, consisting of officials from the Ministry of Education, Saskatchewan Teachers' Federation, Saskatchewan School Boards Association, the Saskatchewan Association of School Business Officials and the Saskatchewan League of Educational Administrators, Directors and Superintendents, that is meeting daily to support the education system in our response to COVID-19.
For provincial updates and messaging regarding response to COVID-19 please continue to monitor Saskatchewan.ca. The full letter from the Response Planning Team can be read in PDF format here.
The Response Planning Team would like to share the following with families:
- First, thank you to students, parents and caregivers for your understanding during these extraordinary times. We appreciate your patience and your flexibility. We are working hard to address the needs of students, staff and school communities as schools close starting today, March 20.
- The closure is considered indefinite. How long schools are closed and classes are suspended will depend on decisions made by Saskatchewan's Chief Medical Health Officer.
- For the upcoming week, we feel it is most important for school staff to pause, enact social distancing and focus on caring for themselves and their families. More information will be coming from school divisions about the next steps. Essential services, such as maintaining our buildings, will continue during this pause.
- Premier Scott Moe and Education Minster Gordon Wyant have committed that students will progress to the next grade or class and those who are eligible to graduate will do so.
- As has been stated, we are committed to ensuring that supplementary educational opportunities will be provided for students. Further information on this will be forthcoming.
- We know there are many questions about the details and the Response Planning Team is actively working on this. We are committed to supporting students.
- Education staff are continuing to be employed and paid, as they normally would be.
- The Response Planning Team is continuing to provide updates and information to School Divisions. School Divisions will continue to provide information to students and parents as it is available.
Thank you for your continued support and understanding. The Response and Planning Team