One hundred years of learning will be celebrated May 16 when Mayfair Community School holds its centennial celebration.
The school community will mark the occasion with an afternoon of events that kicks off with a student-led assembly and includes the unveiling of a land-based learning project and Treaty Garden presentation.
School tours open to the public begin at 4 p.m. and a formal program is slated for 5 p.m. followed by a barbecue and friendship dance. Events are scheduled to conclude at 7 p.m.
According to the history "From a Little Stone School, The Story of Saskatoon Public Schools," Mayfair School was completed in 1919. It is one of several "castle-style" schools that were built in Saskatoon during the second decade of the 1900s.
The new building was a permanent home for the area's students who had been accommodated in temporary frame structures. The basement for the building was originally completed in 1914, however construction didn't resume until 1919 when the Board of Education the realized the need for the permanent facility.
Contractor A. W. Cassidy and Company was awarded the $212,00 tender and the first stage of the building provided 10 classrooms. Four classrooms and an auditorium were later added in 1952 and an additional four classrooms added again in 1958-59.
Enrolment at the school in 1920 was 303 students and it peaked at almost 700 students in the early 1960s. Currently, Mayfair has a population of just over 200 students in prekindergarten to Grade 8.