Skip to main content
Nutana Collegiate
Inspiring Learning
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I register at Saskatoon Public Schools?
Welcome to Saskatoon Public Schools. We look forward to meeting you and your child/children! Students are registered at the school in their neighbourhood. Registration forms are available at the school or on the school's website.
Students who are new to Saskatoon Public Schools, and who do not speak English as their first language, should register through our Newcomer Student Centre located at 310 21st Street in down town Saskatoon. Please call 683-8400 for an appointment.
We offer free public education for all students. Our elementary schools offer Kindergarten to Grade 8 for ages 5 to 13. Our high schools (collegiates) offer Grades 9 to 12 for ages 14 to 21. Students can register at any time during the school year (September to June). When you enroll your children, you must provide the school principal with documentation that verifies their age. One of the following documents may be used:
  • Certificate of Birth;
  • Baptismal Certificate;
  • Passport;
  • Saskatchewan Health Services Card or equivalent.

For children who have moved from another school, it's a good idea to bring any documents from their last school (i.e. report cards) that will help our staff determine in what grade to place them. A student's language ability, age, prior schooling and future goals are considered when determining placement in schools. Some students, whose first language is not English, may need help with English as an Additional Language (EAL). Staff at our Newcomer Student Centre will determine if support is needed, and then make the necessary arrangements.

The individual school principal is responsible for the decision on the admission of students to schools.

What if I am a permanent resident?

If your family has been granted a confirmation of permanent residence, your children can register in our schools. Please bring your documentation from Citizen and Immigration Canada to our Newcomer Student Centre when registering.
What if I am in Canada on a study or work permit?

If you have entered Canada on either a study (for full time studies only) or a work permit, you may register your children in our schools without having to pay a tuition fee. Please bring your documentation (study or work permit) from Citizenship and Immigration Canada to your appointment at our Newcomer Student Centre.

Canada's Immigration and Refugee Protection Act allows students (who are not Canadian citizens) accompanying their parents who have study or work permits to attend our schools.

Study permits for parents will be accepted only if the following criteria are met: (1) The parents' study is for at least one year, and (2) The area of study is more substantial than English alone. This means if parents are taking only English as an Additional Language (EAL) classes, their children are not eligible to enroll in Saskatoon Public Schools at this time.

What if I am in Canada as a visitor?

If you have been issued a visitor record by Citizenship and Immigration Canada, your children are not eligible to enroll in Saskatoon Public Schools at this time.

Where can I get a copy of my high school transcript?

To receive your official high school transcript you need to contact the Office of the Registrar at the Ministry of Education in Regina. Information and an online ordering and payment service is available on the ministry's website. There is a fee for transcripts.

Can my transcript be mailed directly to the university/technical college?

Transcripts (2 copies) are automatically sent electronically each business day by the Ministry of Education to the following institutions:

  • University of Regina
  • University of Saskatchewan
  • Saskatchewan Polytechnic (SIAST - all four campuses)
  • University of Alberta

All other transcripts must be sent through the mail or by expedited delivery if selected.

For more information, please contact:
Office of the Registrar
Ministry of Education
1814 Lorne Street, 2nd floor
Regina SK S4P 2L7

How does Saskatoon Public Schools meet my child's special needs?
Intensive Supports funding is provided by the Ministry of Education for students receiving intensive educational programs and supports who are identified as:
  • Visually impaired;
  • Hearing impaired;
  • Intellectually disabled;
  • Mental Health impairment;
  • Orthopaedic disability;
  • Pervasive development disorder;
  • Physical health impairment;
  • Prenatal substance exposure;
  • Substance related disorders;
  • Multiply disabled and;
  • Other: Diagnosed
For more information on our Special Education Programs click here.
Are there services offered at the preschool level for students with intensive needs?
Yes. The research is clear that early intervention is very beneficial for children with disabilities, and Saskatoon Public Schools work with other agencies to provide a variety of services for our preschool students. We have two congregated preschools and a Therapeutic Preschool. In addition, we offer support in community preschools through our Preschool Support Program where students with disabilities are provided with an Educational Assistant and consultative support.
Who can we contact for more information?
Call the Special Education office at (306) 683-8332.
Can I donate used technology to the school division?
We recognize the importance of technology in our schools and its role in educating 21st century learners.  That's why SPS ensures that all technology in the hands of our teachers and students is current, reliable and fully serviceable by our dedicated staff.  As a result, we are constantly refreshing our equipment to ensure the same quality and abundance that you'd find in any modern organization, and respectfully decline the offer of donated/used technology.
However, every few years, SPS finds itself in the same position as your organization, where we have equipment that's ready for replacement but still has some potential value for a charitable organization or environmentally-friendly recycling.  If you're interested, please consider Think Recycle at, where all items are safely and responsibly processed in Canada and you can repurpose/recycle your equipment in an ethical, environmentally-friendly manner