A new name for Royal West Campus is providing a connection to the school's history.
Royal West, a centre for young adult learning operated by Saskatoon Public Schools, has been renamed Royal West Campus at Estey School.
The name harkens back to the facility's original incarnation as Estey School, an elementary school located on Witney Avenue North that operated from 1961 to 1984.
The school was named after J.W. Estey, a Saskatoon lawyer and politician, who served as Saskatchewan's Minister of Education from 1934 to 1941. He was appointed to the Supreme Court of Canada in 1944 and served the court until his death in 1956 at age 67.
Following the decommissioning of the elementary school in 1984 the building was used for specialized learning and programs as well as storage. In 2002, the Board of Education approved the launch of the Royal West Program, which serves as a centre of excellence for young adult learners from 18 to 22 years of age.
At the time, and in subsequent years, there had not been a motion to rename the school. The Royal West Campus designation indicated the program's original affiliation with Mount Royal Collegiate, and the intention was not to move away from the school name. The
board’s decision to reinstate the name was consistent with the original board
direction for the program.