Saskatoon Public Schools offers a Kindergarten to Grade 8 elementary French Immersion program. French Immersion students learn French and English and follow provincial curricula.
There are currently six dual-track elementary schools offering parallel English and French programs: École Alvin Buckwold School, École College Park School, École Forest Grove School, École Lakeview, École River Heights, and École Victoria. The programs run alongside regular English programs and are housed in the same building. One elementary school, École Henry Kelsey, offers a single-track French Immersion program.
A new French immersion program will be offered at École Dundonald School beginning in September 2017 for students living in the Dundonald, Hampton Village, Confederation Park, Kensington and Westview neighbourhoods. The school will offer Kindergarten through Grade 6 French programming for the 2017-18 school year, alongside the established English program. In 2018, Dundonald will add a Grade 7 French Immersion classroom and will expand its program to Grade 8 in the fall 2019.
Students generally enter the program in Kindergarten or Grade 1 and the language of instruction is primarily French in Kindergarten to Grade 2. Utilizing the new provincial curricula for early learners, our French Immersion program maintains a strong focus on student identity and language development while fostering students’ achievement in multiple subjects. The English Language Arts program is not formally introduced until Grade 3.
In Grades 3-8, students apply their literacy and language skills to support and further their learning. Once students have learned to read in French, they apply this skill as they continue to explore the language and build vocabulary, communicate orally with purpose and write to explain their thoughts and learning. The ability to speak, read and write is applied in all subject areas and enables students to continue to learn the French language in the context of curricular subjects.
Boundaries and Student Transportation
Students living in the following areas of the city attend the French Immersion schools listed below. Transportation is provided for students attending French Immersion schools located outside their immediate neighbourhood. More information is available on our transportation map
, our French Immersion Handbook
or from schools.
- West of Idylwyld Drive excluding Dundonald, Hampton Village, Confederation Park, Kensington and Westview - École Henry Kelsey
- Dundonald, Hampton Village, Confederation Park, Kensington and Westview - École Dundonald School
- East of Idylwyld Drive to the river - École River Heights School
- Avalon, Buena Vista, Exhibition, Grosvenor Park, Holliston (north of Taylor Street), Nutana, Queen Elizabeth, Varsity View, The Willows - École Victoria School
- Adelaide/Churchill, Eastview, Holliston (south of Taylor Street), Nutana Park, Stonebridge -École Alvin Buckwold School
- Briarwood, Lakeridge, Lakeview, Lakewood, Rosewood - École Lakeview School
- Brevoort Park, College Park, East College Park, Greystone Heights, Wildwood - École College Park School
- Arbor Creek, Erindale, Evergreen, Forest Grove, Silverspring, Sutherland, University Heights, Willowgrove - École Forest Grove School
French Immersion Peer Tutoring
Bringing students of different ages together to share in the learning experience is helping improve the literacy skills of French immersion students. Peer tutoring is a co-operative learning strategy that has been adopted by all of Saskatoon Public Schools’ elementary French Immersion schools. READ MORE