Skip to main content
Saskatoon Public Schools
Inspiring Learning
Newcomer Student Centre
Children who are not Canadian citizens and are new to Saskatoon Public Schools need to register through the Newcomer Student Centre. 

How to register:
  • To register children for school, click here to book an appointment at the Newcomer Student Centre. Please note: a permanent address in Saskatoon must be secured before your appointment.

  • To register a child for fall kindergarten (born in 2018), contact the Newcomer Student Centre by email at or by phone at 306-683-8400.

  • To transfer a child from another Saskatchewan school division, including the Greater Saskatoon Catholic School Division, contact the Newcomer Student Centre at or 306-683-8400.

The Newcomer Student Centre is located at:
310 21st Street East
Saskatoon, SK S7K 1M7

For directions and an informational brochure, click here.

Who Should Register Through the Newcomer Student Centre

  • All students who are not Canadian citizens.
  • Students and their families who are new to Saskatoon Public Schools AND who do not speak English as their first language, including First Nations, Inuit and Métis students.
Click here for a chart to help you determine if you should register through the Newcomer Student Centre.

What Happens at Your Appointment

The Newcomer Student Centre provides families with a welcoming and supportive introduction to Saskatoon Public Schools.

At your appointment, your child's immigration documents will be reviewed and their eligibility for publicly funded education in Saskatoon will be determined. Once your child's immigration status has been reviewed, we will help you register your child for school.

We will:
  • Introduce your family to our schools
  • Help register your child for elementary and/or high school
  • Assess your child's English as an Additional Language (EAL) skills (for children six years and older)
  • Recommend support and programming for children who need EAL services.

What to Bring to Your Appointment

Please bring the following documents to your appointment at the Newcomer Student Centre:
  • Student's immigration document
  • Proof of parent's immigration status in Canada:
    • Confirmation of permanent residence (landing paper or permanent residence card OR
    • Parent's work or study permit (confirmation of enrollment in a post-secondary program is required for study permit holders)
  • Recent, dated documentation to confirm your permanent address in Saskatoon (e.g., signed mortgage, rental or lease agreement, utility bill, Saskatchewan driver's license)
  • School transcripts (school records) for students age 14+ who will attend secondary school.
  • Any other relevant documents.
Note: Both a parent/legal guardian and student(s) six years and older are required to be present at the time of registration.