Roland Michener is a small, personal school with a professional and support staff of approximately 30 people, and a student population of about 210. Our size permits us the opportunity to get to know one another like a big family. Roland Michener School is a safe place to learn, where students accept each other's differences and care about one another. We are located in a wonderful park setting, with access to playground equipment, soccer fields, baseball diamonds and tennis courts.
Academic growth (knowing), personal development (caring), and social and cultural development (sharing) are all seen as part of a well-balanced education for every child. These goals and values provide focus and direction for our students' learning. Students find that our school provides abundant opportunities for growth, through an excellent learning program and a comprehensive extra-curricular program. We encourage students to become involved in all aspects of school life, including academics, athletics, arts education and citizenship.
- Strong Academic Emphasis - in all areas of study
- Leaders in Literacy. We have a strong focus on literacy. Saskatoon Public Schools' award winning Literacy for Life initiative means that our Kindergarten to Grade 8 classrooms offer a strong literacy component that ensure students develop skills and attitudes that lead to success. When it comes to supporting literacy, Roland Michener School is a leader.
- Math - our students demonstrate continuous, ongoing development of math skills
- Arts Education - band, music, drama, visual art, dance and creative expression
- Resource Teacher Assistance - for students with learning difficulties
- English as an Additional Language teacher
- Home Economics and Industrial Arts (Grade 8)
- Values Education
- Global Citizenship - our students are accepting of all; our students are becoming culturally responsive, global citizens
- School-Wide and Classroom Assemblies
- C.A.R.E. Partners - a pairing of older and younger students
Our students have opportunities to participate in a variety of extra-curricular activities, such as:
- Cross Country Running
- Indoor Track
- Outdoor Track and Field
- Student Leadership
- Library Helpers
- Choir (junior/senior)
A highlight of the school year for our Grade 6 to 8 students is a three-day camping experience. At the camp, students take part in a variety of leadership and team building activities, resulting in positive atmospheres in classrooms and throughout our school.
Golden Rule Programs
Golden Rule Preschool is located at Roland Michener School. At the preschool, children 3 and 4 years old learn and play in an inviting and stimulating environment. These children also have the opportunity to take physical education lessons in our gymnasium and borrow books from the school library.
Golden Rule Kindercare is also provided for students who are registered at Roland Michener and attending kindergarten. Currently Kindercare is offered for the afternoons with the provider picking the students up at the classroom at 11:48.
Golden Rule Before and After School Care is offered to families of students who are registered at Roland Michener. Before care begins at 7:30 am and students are expected to be picked up by 5:30 pm.
Roland Michener has an active School Community Council (SCC) and Parent Council. These groups are immensely supportive of students and staff. Parents' voices are a valuable part of our students' educational experiences.
Please come and visit us at Roland Michener School. We are proud of our school, and would like to tell you more about us!