The Métis/Michif Cultural program was created to preserve, strengthen and transmit Métis/Michif culture, traditions and language to students at Westmount School. The program, delivered exclusively from a Métis/Michif perspective, supports all Westmount students from prekindergarten to Grade 8.
The intent of the program is to enrich student education through authentic learning experiences within a Métis/Michif worldview. Learning occurs through a co-teaching model where a Métis cultural teacher, Michif Traditional Knowledge Keeper and Michif language teacher work with classroom teachers to integrate language, content and perspectives into the curriculum. This approach builds capacity for teachers to infuse content, perspectives and language into all curricular areas.
During the school year, students:
- Enrich their skills from a Métis/Michif perspective
- Build culturally relevant leadership skills
- Transfer knowledge between generations
- Participate in experiential learning opportunities.
The program is made possible because of the generosity and commitment of members from Métis/Michif communities in Saskatoon, including Lii Pleu Vyeu, Gabriel Dumont Institute (GDI), Central Urban Métis Federation Incorporated (CUMFI), Métis Nation—Saskatchewan (MN-S), Gabriel Dumont Local 11, and Saskatoon Public Schools'
First Nations, Inuit and Métis Education Unit
. These partnerships are essential to the success of the program, which is featured in the Taanshi Books
emergent ready series, published by the Gabriel Dumont Institute.
Westmount is home to the Mii Taant leur Plaas (Auntie's Place) Michif Early Learning program for prekindergarten and kindergarten students. To learn more about the program, click
- Participate in the first Métis/Michif Cultural program in Saskatchewan, many Métis /Michif cultural celebrations (e.g., All Kings Day/Métis New Year, Louis Riel Day, Sweetheart Dance) and Kishkaytaytaahk, an annual celebration of learning in June that hosts Grade 4 students from 20 different Saskatoon Public Schools.
- Join the Lii Pchi Daanseur di la Prayrii, a performance jigging group.
- Receive Michif language instruction.
To register at Westmount School, click here