ScienceTrek is a field-based science program created to inspire Grade 8 students to grow academically, socially, personally and culturally. The program is highlighted by ‘hands on’ out-of-school experiences intended to fuel a passion for science and learning. More information is available on the program's website ScienceTrek.ca
- Provide opportunities for students to develop awareness of and passion for science.
- Promote critical and creative thinking.
- Implement activities which provide for collaboration and cooperative learning.
- Build self-esteem, confidence, and leadership through team building exercises.
- Promote lifelong outdoor pursuits such as hiking, biking, swimming, skiing, camping and canoeing.
- Assist students to develop respect for self, peers, community and environment.
- Integrate core academic areas into the science program.
- Develop skills in hypothesizing, observing, recording, analyzing and presenting.
- Provide students with an accelerated science curriculum.
- Promote careers in science for females and males.
- Promote careers in science for all cultures.
- Foster an understanding of the diversity of science and the impact of science on human culture and the environment.
- Prepare students to meet the needs of an ever changing world.
- Promote community involvement, global citizenship, and stewardship of the environment.