ScienceTrek combines hands-on science opportunities with outdoor pursuits to create an exciting learning environment. It is a field-based science program created to inspire Grade 8 students to grow academically, socially, personally and culturally. The program helps foster an understanding of the diversity of science and the impact of science on human culture and the environment.
The students of ScienceTrek represent the diversity within the city of Saskatoon. The common strand among ScienceTrek students is an interest and passion for science. ScienceTrek students have opportunities to learn from professionals and experts within the scientific community, as well as within the environment in and around Saskatoon. Our students help create a distinct learning environment and represent the diversity of our city.
Provide opportunities for students to develop awareness of and passion for science.
- Build self-esteem, confidence, leadership and promote lifelong outdoor pursuits such as hiking, biking, swimming, camping and canoeing.
Provide students with an enriched science curriculum in a hands-on learning environment.
Explore science-related careers.
Promote community involvement, global citizenship and understanding of the relationship between science and the environment.
- Students develop independence by trekking on their own within the city.
- Day trips within the city on foot and bike, working to make connections between our learning and the scientific environment around us.
- Integrated, project-based learning that fosters connections across multiple subject areas.
- Three multi-day learning excursions, including a canoe trip exploring the South Saskatchewan River.
ScienceTrek is open to current Saskatoon Public Schools Grade 7 students entering Grade 8 in September 2023. Students must apply to be considered for the program.
or click on the green button to the right.
The application is due April 28, 2023.
Montgomery is hosting an open house at the school for ScienceTrek on Thursday, March 30 at 7 p.m. We encourage anyone who is interested in the program to attend. If you are unable to join and have questions, please contact