Students in Saskatoon Public Schools will begin the 2020-21 school year prior to the Labour Day weekend.
The first day of classes for students in both elementary and high school will be Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020, according to the school year calendar approved by the Board of Education during its meeting held Feb. 10.
A pre-Labour Day start date was approved by the Ministry of Education to allow school divisions to appropriately schedule the required number of instructional hours.
The calendar represents a total of 195 days with a minimum of 950 hours of instruction for students. The school year calendar is developed in consultation with stakeholder groups as well as other Saskatchewan school divisions.
It includes a 16-day winter break around Christmas and New Year's Day, a nine-day break in February that includes the Family Day holiday and a 10-day spring break in conjunction with the Easter long weekend.
The final day of classes for high school students will be June 23, 2021, while the final day for elementary students is June 24.
The calendar includes the dates of professional development days, semester start dates for high school students, and statutory holidays. The dates for two PD/school operations days for elementary schools are still to be determined. Key dates include:
- First day of School: Tuesday, Sept. 1, 2020
- Winter Break: Last day of classes is Friday, Dec. 18, 2020; classes resume Monday, Jan. 4, 2021
- February Break: Last day of classes is Friday, Feb. 12, 2021; classes resume Monday, Feb. 22, 2021
- Spring Break: Last day of classes is Thursday, April 1, 2021; classes resume Monday, April 12, 2021
- Last day for high school students: Wednesday, June 23, 2021
- Last day for elementary students: Thursday, June 24, 2021
Download a copy of the 2020-21 School Year Calendar