Off the Grid is a half-day, full-year program for Grade 9 students that takes them on an integrative learning adventure. It is for students who are interested in topics such as climate change, social justice and youth empowerment. The program connects in-class learning with outdoor expeditions while students canoe, hike, ski, bike and bus around Saskatoon and the province to explore what Saskatchewan has to offer. Students connect with local farmers, beekeepers, university professors and environmental organizations to better understand the challenges we face and the resources available to us to initiate meaningful environmental change. The program appeals to students who are looking to challenge themselves, make new friends and enjoy experiencing life outside the box as they gain insight into the complex systems that govern our world through a hands-on learning style.
- Learn with like-minded youth who are passionate about positively influencing our communities in and around Saskatoon.
- Meet some of Saskatchewan's leading experts in the field of environmental sustainability and get the chance to share your thoughts and values with the class.
- Get hands-on learning experiences with canoeing, hiking, tree planting and camping trips.
- Gain a deeper understanding of climate and environmental justice.
- Publish environmental articles and podcasts.
- Attend local presentations and conferences.
- Run the Off the Grid Bike Shop.
Equipment Students need suitable outdoor wear for all four seasons and access to a bicycle.
- Arts 9
- English Language Arts 9A
- Science 9
- Social Studies 9
ApplyApplications for the 2023-24 school year have closed. They will re-open in February 2024.
The application is designed to find students who wish to push themselves both academically and physically to create and inspire positive environmental and social change in our community.