The Cameco Centre of Excellence in Science and Mathematics was made possible with a generous gift by Cameco. Pre-Engineering 10 began in the fall of 2014.
Throughout the program, students use unique, hands-on learning stations to develop the technical and communication skills needed to solve problems. Students will use these skills to design and document a solution to an authentic engineering challenge at the end of term.
An emphasis is placed upon knowledge, skills and attributes that are essential in the field of engineering. These include: co-operative work skills, goal setting, time management, ethics and critical thinking.
Successful Pre-Engineering 10 students are independent and self-motivated. They enjoy problem solving in a science and mathematics environment.
The current training stations for the Pre-Engineering lab are:
- Design Processes (Computer Assisted Design): Students learn a working knowledge of computer assisted drawing (CAD) software, in both design and interpretation;
- Manufacturing Processes I (CNC): Students learn how to program and operate a computer numeric control (CNC) mill for design applications;
- Manufacturing Processes II (3-D Printing): Students learn to design and create objects using a state of the art 3-D printer.
- Fluids (Pneumatics): Students use simulated and real fluid control components for the purpose of design and analysis;
- Electrical Systems: Students learn the design and analysis of electrical circuits using a hands-on approach;
- Robotics: Students learn how to program, edit and run robot control tasks for the purpose of solving problems.
- Electrical/Computer Control: Students learn the design and application of Program Logic Control (PLC) components.
- Team environment
- Hands-on learning
- Learn about careers in engineering and science-related careers
- Develop technical, communication and problem-solving skills
Pre-Engineering 10 and 20 meet the curricular requirements of the Design 10 and Design 20 Practical Applied Arts (PAA) credits. The four major content areas of the program are:
- design fundamentals
- problem solving
- skill development
For more information and contact details please download a copy of the Pre-Engineering information sheet.