Skip to main content
Saskatoon Public Schools
Inspiring Learning
Frequently Asked Questions

1. How old do I have to be to take driver education?

  • You have to be at least 15 years of age prior to the start of the class.  Students in grade 10 have first opportunity to take driver education.

2. Is there a cost for high school driver education?

  • There is no cost for the course in high school.

3. How long is the course?

  • The classroom sessions take about seven weeks to complete and the in-car will take longer.

4. Why do we need simulators?

  • Simulators are an extra tool in your driver education course that helps you learn about driving in a safe, controlled environment.

5. What do I need for identification?

  • You will need an original birth certificate or valid passport as well as a signed Saskatchewan health card to obtain a MySGI account before classes begin. For more information visit the SGI website.

6. Can the identification be a photo copy?

  • No, only original documents are accepted.

7. If I do not have proper identification, how can I get it?

  • If you were born in Saskatchewan you can contact Vital Statistics at Saskatchewan Health. The address is:
    Vital Statistics
    2130 11th Avenue
    Regina SK, S4P 0J5
    Telephone: (306) 787-3251
    Telephone (Toll Free): 1-800-667-7551
    Fax: (306) 787-8951
    E-mail: [email protected]

8. What happens if I don’t have my identification?

  • You will not be able to enroll until you have your identification. 

9. How much is my licence going to cost?

  • Your licence expires at the end of your birth month.  The most it will cost is $25.  As of January 1, 2011, you will be able to purchase your licence for five years.  This cost is $100.

10.  When do I renew my licence?

  • Your renewal date is at the end of your birthday month.  As noted in the previous question, as of January 1, 2011, your licence can be valid for five years if you choose the five year option.

11.  What do I do if I fail the Class 7 Learner’s Test?

  • You are entitled to rewrite one time through the high school course and then after that you will have to go to SGI to rewrite at a cost of $25 per time.

12.  What if I fail or drop out of the course?

  • This is a one-time only course so if you fail or drop out you will have to hire a commercial driving school and pay for the course.

13.  How many classes am I allowed to miss?

  • Saskatchewan Government Insurance allows up to three hours for legitimate reasons.  A note to the instructor is required for each absence. If a note is not received, the missed time will be considered skipping and the student can be removed immediately.

14.  What will happen to my licence if I drop out of the course?

  • If you are 15 years of age your licence will be suspended.  If you are 16 or older the driver education indicator will be removed from your licence and you will not be able to take a road test.

15.  Do I get a final mark in driver education?  Will it affect my average?

  • You will get a final mark in driver education. It will not affect your high school average.

16.  What restrictions are placed on me as a Class 7 learner?

  • Under the Graduated Driver’s Licensing (GDL) Program you have to drive a minimum of nine months before taking a road test. You have to be at least 16 years of age to take a road test. The person you are driving with has to be an experienced driver that is not in the GDL Program. They have to be sitting in the front seat beside you and able to take control.  Between the hours of midnight and 5 a.m. the passengers are limited to immediate family members only. The number of passengers is limited to the number of seatbelts. You cannot consume any alcohol.

17.  If I am involved in a collision while driving with my instructor, am I responsible?

  • As with any collision, SGI will determine fault. Insurance will cover the majority of the cost of repairing the vehicle. If you are at fault, you will receive demerit points from SGI.

18.  Do I need to carry my licence with me when I drive?

  • Under the Traffic Safety Act, it is the law to carry your licence with you. 

19.  Who can I drive with?

  • You can drive with anyone that has held a Class 5 or higher licence for at least 365 days in the preceding three years. The person supervising cannot be a probationary or graduated licensed driver and they have to have a current, valid Class 5 licence.

20.  When can I go for my road test?

  • You can go for your road test after holding a Class 7 licence for a minimum of nine months and be at least 16 years of age.

21.  How do I book my road test?

  • Go to any Motor Licence Issuer and purchase a Road Test Receipt for a Class 5 Road Test. To book your appointment call 1-844-855-2744.  Have your road test receipt and licence with you when you make the call.  You can also book a Road Test on your MySGI page. You are only able to book road tests in your own community. That means you are no longer able to leave Saskatoon and go to a small community to take your road test.

22.  How far in advance can I book my road test?

  • You should book at least two weeks in advance.

23.  How long will the road test take?

  • The road test usually lasts about 20 - 30 minutes.

24.  I have a learning disability. Can I take driver education?

  • In most cases you can take driver education. It is important that your driving instructor knows about your circumstances so they can help you be successful.

25.  How can I take tests if I have difficulty reading and writing?

  • The tests can be administered orally. You should also make sure the driving instructor is aware of your circumstances.

26.  How much of the Driver’s Handbook should I study for my Class 7 Learner’s Test?

  • The Class 7 Learner’s Test has questions from every section of the Driver’s Handbook so read it from cover to cover. The Driver's Handbook is available online.

27.  Should I take notes in driver education?

  • Taking notes helps you remember what is taught so you should constantly take notes in driver education.

28. Can I drive with my driver instructor if I have never driven before?

  • The driver instructor is a trained professional that has a dual equipped car for you to drive. They are prepared for you to drive the first time without any experience.

29. How much practice should I have?

  • It is important to practice as much as possible. The more time you spend behind the wheel the more comfortable you will be and the better driver you will become. Three to four hours per week should be considered a minimum.

30.  Should I have my Class 7 Learner’s Licence before I take driver education?

  • Students that are 15 years of age have to be enrolled and attending a high school driver education course to obtain a Class 7 Learner’s Licence. Students that are 16 years of age can get their Class 7 Learner’s Licence before taking driver education. You do not have to have your Class 7 Learner’s Licence before taking driver education. During the school year you will prepare to write your Class 7 Learner’s Licence Test in class. In the summer, you will have to prepare for the test on your own before the course starts.

31.  I cannot miss any other classes.  What choices do I have to take driver education through high school?

  • The theory lessons are at noon hour and in some cases after school. You are allowed to miss each of your other classes one time for simulator lessons and one time for in-car lessons. There is also the option of taking summer school but you will still have to complete some driving during the school year.

32.  Can I operate a motorcycle with my Class 7 Learners Licence?

  • You can operate a motorcycle as a learner if your Class 7 Learners Licence has the motorcycle endorsement and you are at least 16 years of age.

33.  Why is attendance in class so important?

  • The theory part of driver education deals in-depth with many driving scenarios as well as teaching you about the importance of driver condition, physics of driving, insurance, vehicle maintenance, etc.

34.  How can I practice if my parents will not take me driving?

  • You are allowed to practice with other responsible adults that have held their licence for at least 365 days in the past three years. They cannot be a probationary driver or be in the Graduated Driver Licence Program. It is very important to practice as much as possible. Start in an area that is quiet where both you and your supervising driver feel comfortable. You need to gradually add more complex driving as experience is gained.

35.  What do I do if I am terrified to drive?

  • It is normal to be nervous about driving but some students are terrified to drive. This is something you can discuss with your driving instructor. They will plan your lesson accordingly. Sometimes it is better to wait and take driver education when you feel more confident.

36.  I need to talk to someone about the driver education program. What number do I call?

  • You can call the Manager of Driver Education Services at (306) 683-8268.

37.  I need to contact SGI. What number do I call?

  • You can contact SGI at 1-844-TLK-2SGI (1-844-855-2744).