Skip to main content
Saskatoon Public Schools
Inspiring Learning
Registration for Non-Canadian Students

If you are not a Canadian citizen and new to Saskatoon Public Schools, you will need to register through either:

Eligibility for Publicly Funded Education in Saskatchewan

Students whose parents are permanent residents or have a valid study or work permit can register in our schools. Parents holding a valid study permit must study for at least one year and be registered in a recognized full-time degree or diploma program other than ESL (English as a Second Language). Students must live with parent(s) in Saskatoon and be eligible to study at the time of registration (see The Education Act (1995), s. 142 (1), s. 173 (1), Education Regulations (2019), s. 15 (2)).  

Registration Process for Eligible Non-Canadians

Non-Canadian students (or children of non-Canadian parents) need to register through the Newcomer Student Centre so that immigration documents can be reviewed and eligibility for publicly funded education in Saskatoon can be determined. 

Children can be registered for school once the family is living in Saskatoon and immigration status has been secured. A parent or legal guardian and the student(s) are required to be present at the time of registration.

Required Documents to Receive Publicly Funded Education

  1. Recent, dated documentation to confirm primary place of residence is in Saskatoon. One of the following documents may be used:
    • Signed mortgage, rental or lease agreement
    • A Saskatchewan driver's license
    • A utility bill (e.g., water, gas, energy, cable TV).
  2. Student's immigration document.
  3. Proof of immigration status in Canada for parent(s):
    • Confirmation of permanent residence (landing paper) or permanent resident card OR
    • Parent's work or study permit (confirmation of enrollment in a post-secondary program is required for study permit holders).
  4. School transcripts (school records) for students age 14+ who will attend secondary school.

International Tuition-Paying Students

If you are not eligible for publicly funded education in Saskatchewan, you may be able to register your child with tuition fees. More information about our Saskatoon International Education program is available here.