Saskatoon Public Schools (SPS) coordinates a German Exchange program with several partner schools in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany for students in grades 10 and 11.
During the exchange, SPS students are paired with German students and the families of both take on hosting duties. This allows SPS students to enjoy time with their German partners at their school in Saskatoon and to spend time in Germany at their partner's school.
Student can participate in an exchange of either six weeks or three months.
The six-week exchange begins with SPS students traveling to Germany in mid-June to live with their host families until the end of July. This allows SPS students to have four weeks of school and two weeks of summer holidays with their German partners. SPS students participating in this exchange must complete their collegiate classes one week prior to the end of the semester before beginning their exchange in mid-June. German students will reciprocate the visit around August 20, 2024, and stay until the end of September (dates to be determined when the 2024-25 school year calendar is finalized).
This exchange is for grades 10 and 11 students who are interested in experiencing life and culture in a German home and school. Knowledge of German is not required. Students apply in their grade 9 or 10 year.
The three-month exchange begins with German students traveling to Canada around August 20 (with students on the six-week exchange) and staying until November 20, 2024. Canadian students reciprocate the exchange in spring 2025 and live with their partners from April to June. It is recommended that Canadian students complete their Semester 2 classes online or work with their teachers to complete assignments ahead of time.
This exchange is for Grade 11 students who are studying German. Students apply in their Grade 10 year.
The German exchange is open to all Saskatoon Public Schools students in grades 10 and 11.Students
- Students must have a fully satisfactory or superior academic record, as well as suitable participation in and contribution to school life.
- Students must be mature and flexible, so they can cope with life in a different country. A positive attitude and open-mindedness to new challenges is essential.
- Students must be good ambassadors. For this program to be successful, students should consistently make an effort to cooperate with teachers and be willing and able to solve personal conflicts.
- Students must be in good health.
- Families must be able to provide German exchange students with suitable accommodation and family life. A separate bedroom for the exchange student is essential.
- Every member of the family living at home should be committed to the exchange and be willing to contribute to its success. The host student should be considered part of the family while in Saskatoon.
- Families must be willing to provide or arrange for suitable cultural and recreational experiences to German students. This may include some travel within the province.
- Students must receive a recommendation from their school administration and liaison teacher to participate in the exchange program. The last page of the application form must be completed by the school principal.
For detailed information on the responsibilities of students, families and schools, click
Airfare: approximately $1,500 to $2,000 per student
Administration fee: $200
Hosting a German teenager: Varies, depending on six-week or three-month exchange
Program AdministrationThe exchange program is based on an arrangement between Saskatoon Public Schools and the responsible government agency in Germany.
The coordinator of the program is Mr. James Ens Funk. He is responsible for communicating with German authorities and for the administration of the program in Saskatoon. Any questions or concerns about the program should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested students must apply
by Monday, November 6, 2023. Late applications will not be accepted.
An online application form will be available at the beginning of October.
- Applications must be completed with care and in detail, as they provide the information necessary to match Canadian and German students.
- Please answer questions in sentences, not point form.
Applicants and their parents/caregivers selected for an interview will be contacted between November 13 and 17, 2023. Interviews will be held at Aden Bowman Collegiate from November 20 to 24, 2023, and are scheduled to last approximately 30 minutes. All applicants and their parents/caregivers are asked to keep these dates free.
Once matches have been made, they are sent to Germany for confirmation. Matches are confirmed following ratification by German coordinators. We strive to share the final decision with applicants as soon as possible."
Aden Bowman Collegiate is hosting an open house for students and parents/caregivers to learn more about the German Exchange program on Tuesday, October 10 at 7:30 p.m. in the library.
ContactMr. James Ens Funk
German Exchange Program Facilitator
Saskatoon Public Schools
Aden Bowman Collegiate